Best ways to find Crates not in std that are reliable (Rust team current approach is to keep std small)

Is there a easy way to see crates not in std maintained by library team?

So if you are looking for regex you can directly find https://crates.io/crates/regex
And if you looking for data time with timezones find https://crates.io/crates/chrono

If Rust team wants to keep std minus this stuff I understand.
However, for database driven business web applications, besides searching crates.io and looking for max number of downloads, is there a searchable list or link that directly lists this stuff?
That can save time and build confidence if the right/stable library/crate is being used.

Thanks.

The libs team maintains very few crates as such (see the crates.io listing).
Some of the team members might maintain other crates on top of that.

Non-team members can be just as trustworthy to maintain good crates.
lib.rs is an alternative to crates.io that gives you lots more categories to find stuff in.

"Simple and common" stuff is not such a clear distinction. The use cases for Rust are far too wide spread.
You might also be interested in the recent discussion around the standard library: Rust should have a big standard library and here’s why

3 Likes

By "Simple and common" - I meant stuff like BigDecimal, Timezone, Regex that most database driven business applications need. Thx for the referenced links.
However, Searching further, I found Rust Cookbook. Also this is direct link to Github. This is what I was precisely looking for, though it does not include everything like BigDecimal but it does provide a great start. And then we can see others referenced links to confirm/investigate further.
Looks like rust-lang-nursery/ Rust Libz Blitz is an initiative in this direction as explained here.

Note that the "database driven business applications" are somewhat niche area in current Rust ecosystem. Rust language is used in far broader area including cli apps, OS, under the OS(hypervisor), web browser, game engine, graphics library, embedded devices, packet processor, service mesh etc.

I'd not saying we shouldn't use Rust in this area. But "stuff we obviously need" can vary across those areas. Ideally each area can form a working group and maintain curated list of crates for their domain. It seems the embeded wg doing it great, they made a nice ecosystem around embeded-hal interface.

Although explained "Simple and Common" in my last reply, I have just mentioned the scenario itself in the question to avoid confusion for future readers.

I believe that Rust can be great in Web based applications. You want safety and speed "everywhere" these days. I am also thinking with more training resources learning Rust will eventually become easier so more people can chose it - knowing once we make an application in Rust you don't have to worry about scale/performance as such...if the design is right with and without Rust.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.