Best practice for fallible constructor, clippy::new_ret_no_self

Hi,
i'm just trying out clippy for the first time, ran it on some code of mine and it made some helpful suggestions that were easy to change :slight_smile:
However, i get

warning: methods called `new` usually return `Self`

at one point where i have a method SomeType::new(a : SomeParameter, b : SomeParameter) -> Result<Self,Error>, where a and b are user inputs into my application, and not every combination of them is valid for constructing a SomeType instance. Is there an established naming convention for constructors that may fail?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can name it something like from_config, from_params, with_config, with_params, etc. That is, with_ and from_ are commonly used prefixes for constructors that arenโ€™t, essentially, the default one (which is what new usually refers to). But thatโ€™s more about taking some arguments rather than being fallible or not.

That said, Iโ€™m not sure I agree with this clippy lint and well known crates have many "violations" - eg tokio has plenty of new() that are fallible. So if you canโ€™t come up with an obviously better name, just ignore this lint in that place.

4 Likes

Ok, thanks for the alternate name suggestions, i'll keep them in mind in the future. For this specific instance, i've decided to stick with new and put #[allow(clippy::new_ret_no_self)] above it to disable the lint, because it's really the only sensible way to construct that type.

1 Like

You could also open a clippy issue asking for the lint to allow Option<Self>, Result<Self, _>, impl Future<Output = Self>, etc.

1 Like

Haha, i looked in their bugtracker, and it seems this was fixed in their git just three days ago if i understand that thread correctly :smiley:
https://github.com/rust-lang-nursery/rust-clippy/issues/3313

1 Like