Beginner friendly graphics library for 2D game development

Hello! I have a video game that I would like to make, but I have not been able to find a good rendering library to use. I would like a library that doesn't enforce a programming style (like an ECS) and just lets me draw shapes and images to a screen in a run loop. I have tried Bevy and looked into Raylib and Amethyst, but none of them really seem to fit.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a simple and easy-to-learn library that would fit my needs?

I think you're looking for piston?

3 Likes

Thank you, Piston looks like a good place to start!

This problem was the part of inspiration for my flo_draw crate. There's an example of how to use it to implement a (partial) game here, in case you're still interested in looking at other libraries.

This is not great advice, piston is unkept and is generally regarded as a dead project in the rust gamedev discord server. Instead, try macroquad. It follows this "just draw a rectangle" philosophy while abstracting away all the nitty gritty details and still letting you structure your game as you wish.

2 Likes

Shrug? It still has 40k recent downloads to macroquad's 14k, there's a lot to say for picking the popular option.

That said, suggestions are welcome, and macroquad does look real nice.

(Also, I don't know what it says that there's hundreds of crates on arewegameyet.com, but only a dozen or so on areweguiyet.com!)

also try:

1 Like

I do agree with Piston feeling messy and unkept. I'll try macroquad and see which one I like better. Thank you guys for all the suggestions!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.