Basic question about threads

I'm working my way through the beginner's tutorial and I have a question about threads. How can I pass a thread to a file in the '/src' folder?

My modified mspc::channel example:

main.rs:

use std::sync::mpsc;
use std::thread;
mod Producer;

fn main() {
    let (transmit, receive) = mpsc::channel();	
    thread::spawn(move || {
        Producer::transmitter(&transmit);
    });
    let received = receive.recv().unwrap();
    println!("Got {}", received);
}

Producer.rs

use std::sync::mpsc::Sender;

pub fn transmitter(transmit: &Sender<T>) {	
        let val = String::from("Hi");
        transmit.send(val).unwrap();
}

What do you mean "pass a thread to a file"? Source files don't exist at runtime, they are a compile-time abstraction. What are you trying to do? What problem are you trying to solve?

Does the code you have posted not work? If not, please post the error, or if none, explain what it does wrong.

I want separate the Producer thread from the main.rs like I would do that in other languages.

Error message:

error[E0282]: type annotations needed for (Sender<T>, std::sync::mpsc::Receiver<T>)
--> src/main.rs:11:6
|
7 | let (transmit, receive) = mpsc::channel();
| ------------------- consider giving this pattern the explicit type (Sender<T>, std::sync::mpsc::Receiver<T>), with the type parameters specified
11 | let received = receive.recv().expect("Could not receive anything.");
| ^^^^^^^^ cannot infer type

error: aborting due to 2 previous errors; 1 warning emitted

Regarding the error, you need to specify the message type in the argument.

use std::sync::mpsc::Sender;

pub fn transmitter(transmit: &Sender<String>) {	
    let val = String::from("Hi");
    transmit.send(val).unwrap();
}

Please put error messages in code blocks like you did with the code snippets. Note that if you make the code block by surrounding the code with ``` rather than by indenting with four spaces, you get syntax highlighting.

1 Like

As for separating the thread, you can just call thread::spawn from your producer file?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.