Async/await and using reqwest to execute multiple GET requests in parallel

let futures0: Vec<impl Future<Result<Vec<u8>, QuantumError>>> = get_reqwests();
    let mut unordered = futures::stream::futures_unordered::FuturesUnordered::new();
    for fut in futures0 {
        unordered.push(fut);
    }

unordered.map(|arr: Result<Vec<u8>, QuantumError>| {
        match arr {
            Ok(vec) => futures::future::ok(vec),
            Err(err) => futures::future::err(err)
        }
    }).buffer_unordered(len).concat().collect().await

Error:

the trait bound `std::result::Result<std::vec::Vec<u8>, std::boxed::Box<util::StringedError<'_, std::string::String>>>: std::iter::Extend<std::vec::Vec<u8>>` is not satisfied
   --> quantum_random\src\web_async.rs:255:30
    |
255 |     }).buffer_unordered(len).concat().collect().await
    |                              ^^^^^^ the trait `std::iter::Extend<std::vec::Vec<u8>>` is not implemented for `std::result::Result<std::vec::Vec<u8>, std::boxed::Box<util::StringedError<'_, std::string::String>>>`

The idea is that I already constructed multiple requests, and all I have to do left is to execute each future concurrently that way I can maximize the amount of information that I receive instead of waiting for each future to complete one-by-one. How can I achieve this in a neat, functional way?

1 Like

(concatenating a vec of Vec's into a single Vec)

It may be better to use fold in this case

I decided to switch up the notation a bit, and then tried using fold:

futures::stream::iter(futures0.into_iter())
        .fold(Vec::with_capacity(length as usize), |mut acc, fut: impl Future<Output=Result<Vec<u8>, QuantumError>>| async {
            fut.await.and_then(|vec| Ok(acc.extend(vec)))
        })
type mismatch resolving `<impl core::future::future::Future as core::future::future::Future>::Output == std::vec::Vec<u8>`
   --> quantum_random\src\web_async.rs:253:10
    |
253 |         .fold(Vec::with_capacity(length as usize), |mut acc, fut| async {
    |          ^^^^ expected enum `std::result::Result`, found struct `std::vec::Vec`
    |
    = note: expected type `std::result::Result<(), util::QuantumError>`
               found type `std::vec::Vec<u8>

I'm a bit confused as to how to combine this into a singular vector. Am i using fold correctly?

You need to handle the results correctly, also extend does not return a new vec

try this

futures::stream::iter(futures0.into_iter())
        .fold(Ok(Vec::with_capacity(length as usize)), |mut acc, fut: impl Future<Output=Result<Vec<u8>, QuantumError>>| async {
            let vec = fut.await?;
            acc?.extend(vec);
            Ok(acc)
        })
1 Like

This compiles and runs:

Ok(futures::stream::iter(futures0.into_iter())
        .fold(Vec::with_capacity(length as usize), |mut acc, fut| async {
            let res = fut.await.and_then(|res| Ok(res));
            match res {
                Ok(vec) => {
                    acc.extend(vec);
                    acc
                },
                Err(_) => Vec::with_capacity(0)
            }
        }).await)

My question is: Can i propagate an error from the fold? I have to return an empty vec, which is not known as an error until a bounds-check is done downstream in the logic.

Also: Is this necessarily parallel? I run the program, and I get one request after another in a suspicious way. It seems like one request comes only after the previous one, and the temporal deltas are about the same.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.