Askama templates in Actix-Web: preprocessing in build script

I'm working on my first toy web app with Rust, Actix-Web, and Askama. There are a few frontend assets that I build with Vite. Among other things, this bundles my JS-code into a single file with a version hash. Asset symbolic name's are mapped to their hashed names in a manifest.json file.

I can think of several ways to handle this, but the one I currently prefer goes like this:

I already have a cargo build script that handles building the assets through Vite. I would like to write Askama templates with two different syntaxes. The default syntax for rendering at runtime as usual. An alternative syntax for use in a preprocessing step in the build script where symbolic names are mapped to their hashed counterparts.

I barely understand the Askama sources and unfortunately what I'm trying to achieve seems to be at odds with how Askama does things. I may have to use another templating engine just for preprocessing; or just go for simple, textual search & replace.

I'm rather attached to handling this at build time. But if I were to switch to a runtime approach, I think my best bet would be a custom Askama filter for looking up hashed asset names.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.