Anyone have real-world examples of using Option as an iterator?

I’m writing an article on using Option as an iterator, but I’m not sure what to write for the examples. All the use cases I came up with are better served by if let or std::iter::once.

Does anyone have any short, realistic snippets of code that use Option as an iterator?

@lfairy: Generally speaking, there aren’t many great reasons, but I’ve used this in aster. There, I use it to short circuit adding things to vecs:

fn build_(mut self, expr: Option<P<ast::Expr>>) -> F::Result {
                self.stmts.extend(expr.map(|expr| {
                    StmtBuilder::new().span(expr.span).build_expr(expr)
                }));
                self.callback.invoke(P(ast::Block {
                    stmts: self.stmts,
                    id: ast::DUMMY_NODE_ID,
                    rules: self.block_check_mode,
                    span: self.span,
                }))
            }

I was recently wrapping a C API that returned an index as a string. It used a one-based index with zero meaning there was no current index. I wanted to convert zero to None and change the index to zero-based. So I converted an Option to an Iterator and called filter:

s.parse::<usize>().ok().into_iter().filter(|i| *i != 0).next().map(|i| i - 1)

BTW, this is optimized to assembly that I couldn’t write better by hand (one call to parse(), then three comparisons and jumps).

I think this is something I “take advantage of” every once in a while, but never use intentionally. I’ll pass an Option to something that takes an IntoIterator, or I’ll flat_map over an Iterator of Options, and so on.

Surely filter_map is better for that? I guess that’s just you taking advantage without intention…

rustc uses it a bunch. The situation is basically that you have collections of some items (As Vec or so), and then you have extra single items.

Example:

/// A path like `Foo(A,B) -> C`
#[derive(Clone, PartialEq, Eq, RustcEncodable, RustcDecodable, Hash, Debug)]
pub struct ParenthesizedParameterData {
    /// Overall span
    pub span: Span,

/// `(A,B)`
    pub inputs: HirVec<P<Ty>>,

/// `C`
    pub output: Option<P<Ty>>,
}

The vec (data.inputs) and the option (data.output) are iterated here:

pub fn types(&self) -> HirVec<&P<Ty>> {
        match *self {
            AngleBracketedParameters(ref data) => {
                data.types.iter().collect()
            }
            ParenthesizedParameters(ref data) => {
                data.inputs
                    .iter()
                    .chain(data.output.iter())
                    .collect()
            }
        }
    }

rustc revealed to me that the uniformity that comes from treating Option as a 0 or 1 element collection is pretty neat.

I commonly use it to add a single element to an iterator with chain: https://github.com/steffengy/schannel-rs/blob/master/src/tls_stream.rs#L21-L22

Or to feed a single item to an API that takes an iterator over values: https://github.com/sfackler/rust-postgres/blob/master/src/types/mod.rs#L593-L598

I can’t think of a time when I’ve used None as an iterable though.

I feel like when I’m passing the identity function, flat_map is clearer than filter_map, but ymmv.