Actix and logging of JSON

I've very limited experience with Rust and I'm trying it out for possible use at work. For that I'm writing a small web service (HTTP+ JSON) and after looking around a little I settled on actix for the HTTP bits. So far it's been a pleasure to work with. However when trying to add logging similar to what we do in other services I've run into some things I can't easily find solutions to.

AFAIU actix uses the log crate itself, so I probably want to use an implementation that works with it. I started with env_logger but I'm failing to make it

1. log JSON objects of the form I want, and
  2. handle a custom field, X-Correlation-ID, which is received in each request and should be included in every object logged while processing that request

I had a look at json_env_logger (as a new user I can only include two links, but it's easily found at crates-dot-io) and it looks straight forward enough that I can use it as a base for the first point above. However, the second point is something I don't really know how to accomplish.

Any suggestions and/or pointers to useful crates would be very much appreciated.

tracing tries to be compatible with log so you could probably use tracing_subscriber (instead of env_logger) which has pretty good json logging and examples of it.

Thanks, that looks really nice actually!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.